St Stephen’s Church
Until 1911, a lookout and fireplace watch lived in a specially furnished dwelling in the tower, high above the rooftops of the town; at some stage, triplets had been born there. Today, St. Stephen’s presents itself as a corridor church with a conventional layout of a nave and two facet aisles whose Gothic vaults have not yet been restored. The walls are completed in white, creating a beautiful distinction to the purple sandstone of the supporting building parts. The bottom a part of the spacious steeple up to the pointed arch frieze dates most likely back to Willigis’s church. The dome and lantern were put in place for town’s 2000th anniversary in 1962.
The success of our Church is dependent upon participation from individuals such as you. Until 1911, a lookout still lived as hearth-watcher in a specifically furnished dwelling within the tower, high above the roofs; triplets have been even once born right here. The constructor of the cathedral was himself laid to relaxation in St. Stephen’s in 1011.
Tombstones and the coats of arms of the capitular households recall their memory. The coats of arms are enriched by fashionable keystones donated by the federal and state governments, the bishopric and metropolis of Mainz. Works of art, such because the enthroned God the Father from the 15th century, or the late Gothic sculpture of St. Anne, the Virgin and the Christ Child, also needs to not be ignored. For some years in St. Stephen’s, children have been baptised in the authentic Gothic baptismal font from 1330 once more. Marc Chagall, who turned an honorary citizen of Mainz, but never obtained to know the city, completed his last window shortly earlier than his death on the age of ninety seven. Nineteen later and deliberately more modest windows in the facet aisles by Charles Marq, from the Atelier Jacques Simon in Reims, serve to lead up to the masterpieces.
St. Stephen’s is the one German church for which the Jewish artist Marc Chagall ( ) created windows. Born in Russia, the artists spent the longest period of his life in France. Blue gentle shines by way of the stained glass into the interior of St. Stephen’s, and not solely angels however different Biblical figures transfer apparently ethereally in this mild. Today, the home of God presents itself as a clearly organized corridor church with a nave and two aspect aisles during which the Gothic vaults haven’t but been restored. The walls are finished in white with the purple sandstone of the supporting architectural components forming a gorgeous distinction.